Saturday, January 22, 2011

What's in a name?

When I was younger, I knew the names of my future children. I was going to have two: Maddi & Jake. Well by the time I was 11, one of my favorite cousins had had a baby girl and named her Madison. How could she steal my girl name!?!   :)   Next thing I knew, I'm a few years down the road and I hear that my same cousin had just had a boy and named him.... yep, you guessed it: Jake.

At this point, I realized two things: that the same names were popular to most Americans at the same time AND I couldn't even remember why I liked those names or why I had chosen them to be "my picks".

That was over ten years ago. I still like the names even though I have no intent of ever using them, and they're a perfect fit for my cousin's kids. But I know now, after naming a child, that it is a different process for me than to just hear a name (or see a cute girl/boy with that name) and know it's destined for my child.

Naming Michael was pretty simple. I had always loved the name but never considered using it until I sat there, pregnant, in the temple. From there, it was pretty undeniable that I would use it for a son at some point--if not for this baby then maybe another. We still didn't officially decide and tossed around a handful of names up until a few days before delivery. Even in the hospital, we had two names but the minute we saw him, the decision was made, and Michael Steven became a family name.

After having Michael, I've started to think more carefully about names I hear. If it catches my ear (? can you even say that?) I write it down. Well, that's a lie... I text it into my phone and save it in a list of names. I look over that list every few weeks and throw names around with Steve. We play around with the ideas and then I delete/add/change the names. (I bet you think I'm weird now.)

A couple nights ago, Steve was watching TV and I was sitting next to him on the couch drawing on Michael's magnadoodle. I started writing names I like--names WE like and have discussed. Within a few minutes, I had our entire family named and doodled into the board. I showed Steve and he said, "Wait what about ________ (suggesting a name I'd never heard him bring up)." So it was added. Then Steve counted. "Wait... five?" he asked. "Well you're the one who said 'don't forget little _______' so yes, that makes five. But we can take it right back off." We sat and laughed over the possibility of our future kids.

But here's the thing. I have lots of names I think we could use but only 2 (maybe 3) that we know we will use if given the chance. Names we love. Names we see fit for our family. Names we're excited about... Names we won't share. (Except for one... some of our family knows of one name we definitely want to use someday if we ever have a little girl.)

Is this silly? Do you tell people names you know you want to use? Are you afraid they'll steal it?

Does this sound crazy to any of you?

Steve and I... we're not set on much... but we are set on these. So I think 'well, just tell the family and "call" them. Then they won't use it.' But pregnant women are emotional and sometimes just don't know which way is up. So I'm afraid someone will swear up and down that they won't use "our" name but then see their baby, and because I've put the thought into their mind, might think "our" name is the perfect fit for their child.

On the other hand, what if I never say anything keeping them a secret. And someone has a baby (boy or girl... we have names for both) before I do and thinks of the name all on their own! Then I would be mad that I never "called" the name first.

Sounds like first grade, right? Telling someone they can't have that because you had "called it." It wouldn't matter to me as much if friends or acquaintances hear the names and decide to use them. But I would be sad if family did.

Is this even worth thinking about? I don't know yet when we'll have our next. I don't know if my future kids will be boys or girls or both. We don't even know how many kids we'll have for sure. But it's something I think about as I feel surrounded by people having babies. Something that might make more sense to think about if I were pregnant. But I'm not... I'm just a girl who does too much thinking and worrying.

10 comments:

Ryan and Lindsay said...

Ha ha! I love this post because I have these same thoughts all the time. I am not pregnant but I have family members who are and I worry all of the time that they will steal mine and Ry's names for our kids, but I don't want to tell them what they are! :) especially because we have a hard enough time agreeing so if we have to think of more names if they get stolen I don't know what we'll do :)

The Halls said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Halls said...

Speaking of people having babies ;) SORRY FOR THIS LONG COMMENT I SHOULD HAVE JUST EMAILED YOU!

Em I just have to say our way of thinking is very similar, I had this same thought processes just a few months ago. I decided as far as friends go if I have the same name as them, then who cares. Even cousins it would be a little bit weird, but I don’t have the same last name as any of them so that’d would be okay... Like if it was Michael Esplin and Michael Esplin, but cousins I could see how that would be hard, but Michael Moore and Michael Esplin I think that’d be okay. I don’t know, just my way of thinking.
I personally chose to announce our top 2 names. I have more saved up, actually in an app on my phone called Evernote! I felt like telling my family with everyone there and on my blog so that everyone knew from the get go that those are the names I want. I decided to tell because If you never tell them, then they will never know that they ‘stole’ your name. Speaking of which I need to update my list on my blog. Whether you choose to keep them secret or share them, I completely understand.
Good luck and if you ever want to share I’m excited to hear!

Pam said...

This post is from a mom who needs tenure quickly: )
I think you will be the next one for our family so you'll have first pick. Can't wait!!! Love you.

todd and erin said...

You are not crazy at all! I think we all worry about this. It's so hard because you don't want anyone to use your name AND you don't want anyone to not like your name. But in the end, it's your decision and you should stick to what you love.

There is a girl's name that both Todd and I love. But I found out that my sister-in-law wants to name her next girl that same name. I won't tell you the whole story but it seemed that she felt strongly enough about this name that we decided not to use it. In the future, if she is done having kids and we're not, then maybe I'll ask her permission if the name isn't used. But usually family will respect your wishes.

Abbie said...

You.Crack.Me.Up!!! Ems I love you to death. Glad to see your as crazy as the rest of us :)

Amy said...

To each their own I say. I've never understood the "you stole my name" side of things (because there's no law that says two kids can't have the same name....) so I'm glad you wrote this so I can understand it a little better.

I have a hunch that names are far more important than I think they are.

Nicole said...

I love this post! We can not agree on a name, I want a short name like Tyce and not super common. We have 3 girl names that we agree, but no boy names! My sister is having a boy and they think we stole Ty from them. How do you steal a name from someone, if they have not used it and don't have a boy? She was having a girl when I was pregnant with Tyce!

Chris and Hil said...

Wow we (us sisters) really are nutcases. ;) I have to admit this post stresses me out for you. If someone steals your name it may not have been meant to be anyway. At least that's a lot less stressful way of looking at it. I don't think it matters if you say anything or not because me and Britt (Britt and I? whatever don't judge me) we just had our turns, lex is out, Abs is on strike, and that leaves you. :)

Melissa Beardall said...

This post is so ... NOT weird!! haha I've had the same thinking process as you and I'm not even pregnant. We have a couple names picked out and I've been writing them down. Don't worry Em.. I won't steal your names :) haha never ever! There are so many names out there. Why would anyone ever steal someones name?? That's just plain dumb to me. Tyler and I have decided that when I am prego someday.. that we won't tell the names we have picked out so we can just avoid the potential drama of it all together.. I guess we'll see how well we stick to that haha easier said than done, I'm sure. Just my opinion. I LOVE reading your posts.. keep them coming :) love you!