Friday, January 21, 2011

Sickness Favorites

Michael has been sick for 1 full week. Since last Friday night, the little guy has been running a fever, which at one point reached 103.8 degrees. Along with fever, he's been congested, coughing, and had a stuffy and runny nose. We found out today he has strep. But now with antibiotics, he is on the road to recovery. It's been a hard week for all of us, but not has hard as you'd think. There is always good to find with the bad.

Here are some of my favorite parts of the last week:

1. Driving Michael's wiggle car with him and wishing Santa would've brought me one for myself
(Maximum weight = 200 lbs. Score!)
2. Playing hide n seek and cracking up when neither Steve nor Michael could find me
(Barely squeezing in the pantry, leaving the door cracked, and watching them go back and forth for 5 minutes. Hilarious!)
3. Michael telling us the story of "The Three Little Pigs"
(He seriously started with "Once upon a time" -- I'm pretty sure this is currently his favorite story. He loves the "huff & puff" parts)
4. Changing the words to Row, Row, Row Your Boat
(Mom, did you say butt? That's naughty!... We now say life is like a dream)
5. Building a bazillion Lego-towers, gas stations, houses, cars, and guns
(If I hear "Can you help me build a gas station, please?" one more time though I just might throw the Legos away)
6. Coming home to find Michael and Steve cuddled up together sleeping on the couch
(I love knowing that Steve babies Michael when I can't... wonder if he'll admit he does)
7. Telling a "your mom" joke to Michael and realizing it's not funny when you say it to your own child
(We play a game where we say "You're silly!" "No, you're silly!" "No, you're stinky..or crazy..or funny..or poopy, etc" but it didn't work out so well when Michael was coming back at me so fast and I pulled a "Your mom's _______.")
Michael-1, Mom-0
8. Cradling Michael in my arms for over an hour
(He wasn't even asleep! He just let me hold him, all content just wrapped in a blanket.)
9. Michael distraught over running snot and asking for a "tissue" every ten seconds
(Most kids don't care about a runny nose. Michael does. He can't stand it and if he feels it run down, he runs in whining and says "Ahh I need a tissue!")
10. Cuddling in bed, all three of us
(Usually we don't let Michael sleep in our bed. This week has been an exception. And I've loved it!)
11. Laughing out loud as we all three watched Despicable Me
(Love this movie! Steve laughed himself to tears when Gru said "This is literature?" So funny!)
12. Watching Steve & Michael cook eggs together
(Michael loves whisking the eggs. Good thing Steve is passing on the trade. His eggs are my fave!)
13. Michael going shopping with his cart at "Walmart" (our basement food storage)
(He loves to play down there while I'm on the treadmill. Last time I watched him load up a cart, pretend to check out, and put them back on the shelf about five times. No clue where he gained his love for grocery shopping)
14. Blowing feathers across the floor for an hour
(Our bed has a feather down comforter on it and every once in a while Michael will find feathers on the floor or bed. He took a few in the bathroom, laid himself tummy-down on the floor, and began to blow them across the floor, laughing all the while. I couldn't help but join him)

Hope next time someone in your family is sick, you can have some fun laughs too!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I've never been jealous of a mother with a sick kid before - well done! :)

Abbie said...

I'm so glad you guys finally watched Despicable me!!! (I am actually watching it right now for the millionth time) I knew you guys would love it :) "I did purchase a Spanish dictionary... I don't like what you said" (whack). I'm so glad Michael boy is on the mend. He looked awful the other day when I saw him so its good to hear it hasn't all been bad. You need to post the pic of you on the wiggle car. They are fun huh!!! Heres hoping for lots more lego building minus the boogs and runny noses. Love you guys

Kim said...

I love how you find good things about Michael being sick! I need some of your optimism! I love the hide and seek story and I'm glad you saw Despicable Me. Isn't it hilarious? Also, love the family pictures!