Being at home with 2 children though is different than being at home with just 1. WAY DIFFERENT! Especially when one of them is an infant. While Steve is busy working, going to school, and finishing up his preceptorship (which are 12 hour clinicals--basically like him being at work on those days too), Michael and I have learned what it's like to be home all day with a baby. Most times our days are filled with playing pretend, sleeping (only some of us), eating, doing laundry and admittedly watching too much Netflix*.
*Bless our modern days though. Sometimes it's a complete life saver. It keep Michael entertained and contained in one room while I care for Loi or try to get things done. At least most of the shows he watches are pretty educational. I swear his vocabulary has grown exponentially because of Backyardigans, Super Why, Barney, and Wonder Pets.
Michael loves pretending. He'll dress up like a cop, a robot, a knight, a king, a "fighter fighter" and especially any super-heroes. He is obsessed with anything Super Hero-related and pretends to be a super hero at least once a day. Some days before I can even think about getting his clothes out for the day, he has already dressed himself in Super Hero attire.
This week the weather has been pretty chilly and overcast meaning Michael doesn't get his daily outlet of running off energy outside. To help with his stir-craziness, I encouraged him to play in the basement. Then I realized I finally had time to "light up" his playhouse how I've wanted to do for months now. Ten minutes, a screwdriver, and a strand of Christmas lights later, his playhouse was all lit up inside. He was so excited that he wanted to have a picnic inside. So a picnic we had!
Also, to change things up a bit, we've had a billion Easter egg hunts. I filled tons of eggs that we didn't end up using so each day, I would hide eggs around the house and then let Michael go find them. Easter lived on in our house much past the 8th. Daddy even hunted eggs a couple times. This never got old for Michael. Each time he was excited as the first.
Michael has quickly become the best big brother a girl could ask for. I always tell Michael he needs to stop growing. I've told him that each time he stretches, he is growing so I teasingly tell him he can't stretch anymore. Now that we have the baby though he is not happy when I say that. He stretches even more now (especially right before he steps on the scale because he thinks that will make him grow more instantly and magically weigh more) and tells me matter-of-factly "But I have to grow up and be a big brother to our baby!!" Michael loves to sing to Eloise. His first pick is always Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. He also joins in every time I sing the "Bushel and a Peck" song. He gives her gentle hugs and loves to kiss her forehead. He talks to her in the cutest baby voice and says "Hey Miss!" and he's always quick to grab her binky and put it back in for her. This week he also helped me give the baby a bath. He was so excited to be involved and wanted it to be fun for her so she had a bath complete with a toy turtle and dinosaur. Lucky girl, I tell ya!
Staying home isn't as relaxing as I thought though. I planned on being on a great schedule, getting lots done, taking a nap everyday with the kids, and always having a clean house. Nope... not at all. We have no schedule. I don't get much done... other than keep all 3 of us healthy and alive. Taking a nap is out of the question. Any time I think it just might work out, I'm proven wrong. Once I finally get Michael down, the baby seems to need something. So between feeding, changing, and keeping Loi happy and getting Michael ready and feeding and entertaining him, I'm lucky if I do anything each day other than shower and fix dinner. So although we stay in jammies too long sometimes and my carpets really could use a vacuum, being at home spending time with my two babies is more than I could ask for!
No comments:
Post a Comment