(A little background: Michael was born with a finger-print-sized birthmark on his cheek. After much debating we decided to get it removed so he didn't have to grow up with a brown mark on his face. We went up to Primary Children's and met with the chief of plastic surgery. His suggestion was to have two surgeries, six months apart. The first surgery would cut out the birthmark and he would stitch the skin together pulling his cheek skin fairly taut. After time the scar would stretch wider because of the skin being pulled so tightly. Surgery two would be done six months later removing the stretched scar/skin and stitching it together again leaving him with a thin line scar on his cheek. Yesterday was the check up for surgery two before the actual surgery in December.)
Typically we meet with the doctor at a small clinic in the University Hospital but today he was meeting with his patients over in a large clinic at Primary Children's. We finally found the room and signed in. Then came the hour-long wait in the waiting room. As I sat there, Michael wandered around through the toys. I always get nervous when Michael plays with public toys in fear of germs. I had to put that aside and just let him play like a kid. As I watched him play, I couldn't help but notice the other parents in the waiting room. Some were watching Michael while caring for their own children. That is when I realized Michael was the only child in there who was healthy and strong and able to talk and walk around all on his own. There were lots of sweet, beautiful children sitting in there able to do nothing. Most sat in their wheelchairs reclined back mumbling words or making noises. Some sat on their parent's laps having no idea where they were or what was going on. Children came in and out with bandages and wires and tubes connected to them. It was all I could do to sit there and hold back my tears. I was overwhelmed with both heartache and gratitude. My heart broke seeing the children stricken with illness or disabilities and for their parents who by simply having a child are now weighed down with challenges. I was also overcome with gratitude for my healthy little boy who was there for only a simple cosmetic surgery. The other parents were there because they had to be. Their children needed to be there so things could be done to help keep them alive. Steve and I have been blessed with a beautiful smart little boy who is growing and developing and learning completely normally. I was suddenly grateful that Michael could play with the "germy" toys... that he could walk and carry them and talk to me about them. I realized how simple it is to care for a healthy child and what a challenge it would be to care for a child who is not healthy. I then was grateful to those parents sitting in the waiting room loving their children and caring for them sweetly even though I'm sure they get frustrated to tears and are saddened with the difficulties.
Too often in life I take things for granted and aren't thankful for all that I should be. Things like having a little boy who sometimes throws himself to the floor when things don't go his way or who holds food in his mouth refusing to swallow. These little things that irritate me are only things to appreciate and cherish now before they're gone. I'm grateful Michael is able to be independent and want things to go his way or choose and decipher between things he likes (and doesn't like) to eat. Being a mom is one of life's greatest blessings and I'm so grateful to my Heavenly Father who trusted me with one of his children. Michael truly lights up my life.
Not only am I grateful for Michael and his health, I'm grateful for my sweet husband. I'm so glad I'm married to my perfect match. Steve strengthens my weaknesses and makes my life happy. I'm always thanking him for "making everything okay." If ever I'm stressed or sad, or overwhelmed or angry, Steve helps me see things in a new way helping me calm down and take things one step at a time. He gives me a focused perspective on what is really most important and he brings me back when I get caught up in things that don't matter. Even after almost four years of marriage, I would still rather spend time with him than anyone else. He is a great blessing to me.
I could go on and on about things in life that I'm grateful for... my family, a house, my job, great friends, etc but what I really want to express my gratitude for is my knowledge of the gospel. I'm so grateful I've grown up a member of the church and that I have the knowledge of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I'm grateful for the Plan of Salvation and for a living Prophet and wonderful church leaders who are worthily leading me through these awful last days. I'm grateful I can communicate with Heavenly Father through prayer and that I have the gift of the Holy Ghost to receive inspiration and answers. I know that I am not alone and that I should not fear. I'm thankful to know that we can always receive comfort and that our burdens can be lifted if only we ask. What a wonderful blessing to have throughout life. Having this knowledge makes life so much simpler and less daunting.
I'm so grateful for all that I have. I am one blessed girl.
Happy Thanksgiving!
7 comments:
Sweetest. Post. Ever. Love you guys and that sweet little michael boy :)
Love your post, Em. It's so easy to take important things for granted. This really puts things in perspective
Thanks for sharing your heartfelt thoughts. I loved reading it.
I am grateful for 5 beautiful daughters who strive to live what they believe. I am so proud of each one of you for the daughters you are, for the women you have become, and for the mothers and wifes you each are. I love you and I love my sweet, precious grandchildren. I am the one who is truly blessed.
thats cute ems! Micheal is such a cute and precious little boy. I am so grateful for the examples you all are to me.
Such a cute little family! I love Michaels big eyes! I'm glad you are all healthy too! We have people ask us every week at church about Griff's helmet, and if he's having seizures, or if they need to pray for him or whatever. It's definately comforting to be able to say, "Thanks, but we are all healthy and doing well!" Have a great Christmas!! Love you all!
I can't believe I never commented! I swear I did. Anyway I love your post. I hope all goes well for Michael's surgery. Please keep us posted and we'll be praying for him. Also, I LOVE LOVE the picture. "Ya'll" look fabulous! Love you guys!
Post a Comment