Today, for the first time in 7 days,
Michael wanted to go to Day Care!
Let me tell you how the last week has gone. School started for me two or so weeks ago with meetings and trainings. We were able to work schedules out so that Michael got to hang out with Daddy until his Day Care started last Wednesday. And then it began.
Day 1: Michael cried getting ready for "school" (this is what we call his Day Care). He screamed when we dropped him off. He cried pretty much the entire day, didn't nap at all, and was crying when I picked him up.
Day 2: Michael cried when we got him ready to go to school. Cried on the way there, when we dropped him off, and again most the day. He did however eat 3 Ritz crackers that day which was an improvement from the day before. Still no nap.
Day 3: Michael woke up crying because he didn't want to go to school unless "Mommy or Daddy come wif me." He cried on and off throughout the day and ate chips and a cookie and took a half hour nap.
Day 4: Michael cried as I buckled him into the carseat to go to school. Cried the whole way there. Screamed as I ran him in (partially because it was hailing and smacking us both in the face but mostly because he didn't want to stay there). We arrived drenched and he screamed as the teacher pried (why does that word look funny to me?) him from my arms. He did better during the day and only cried twice and took a full nap.
Day 5: Michael cried again on the way to school telling me "I don't wan eet!" (I don't want it) Cried more as I walk out the door. Only cried once when they were out playing and the teacher said "Hey Michael that's where your mommy works just across the field. She'll come pick you up soon." He ate though! Like chicken and rice and vegetables and a cinnamon roll, etc. And he took a full nap again. He's actually eating and napping at school!
Day 6: Michael cried when Daddy told him he is taking him to school. Michael is soon consoled with a piece of gum. (Nice move, daddy.) They arrived at school, Michael walked in (like on his own... because he chose to), turned around and said "Bye dad!" Steve didn't know which was harder... to have him cry because he doesn't want you to leave or to see him happy and not caring that you're leaving. Michael didn't cry all day except when his favorite teacher left the room for a minute, but he ate snacks and breakfast and lunch and he napped.
Day 7--Today: (Steve and I are getting ready, Michael is sleeping in our bed. I ask Steve if he wants to get Michael ready so I can take him or if he wants to take him once he wakes up.) Amidst our talking Michael mumbles, "I wanna go to cool."
The conversation continues:
Us: What Michael?
Him: (now sitting up in bed) I wanna go to cool right now.
Us: (puzzled) Okay. Let's get ready then.
Michael gets off the bed and runs in his room saying "I need my shoes."
In the process of Steve dressing Michael he yells to me, "Em, Michael is demanding he needs to wear socks with his sandals."
My reply: (Hating the fact that people actually wear socks with their sandals) Whatever...
Michael comes in to the bathroom, clasps his little hands together by his tummy, and shouts "I'n so et-cited for cool!"
He continues squealing with delight.
As I drive him to school he literally can't contain himself. He's squealing saying "We almost to my cool mom, we almost to my cool!" I get him out of the car and as we walk in, with every step he says Yay! Yay! Yay!
I open the door and he runs over to join the kids eating breakfast. The teacher looks at me amazed. All I can do is shrug my shoulders and say, "I don't understand it either."
After I check in, I tell Michael I'm leaving. He runs over to me and says "Bye mom!" He turns to run back to his table and says "Thank you, mom!"
As I walk to my car, I'm in tears. Tears of joy and gratitude because now my job has become a billion times easier. Our prayers have been answered and Michael actually enjoys going to Day Care. Steve gave both Michael and I blessings before we started back to school reassuring us that Day Care would seem but a small moment and that Michael would be happy and make friends and enjoy it. I'm so happy my heart doesn't have to break each day we drop him off anymore. It's difficult to teach wondering if my sweet little boy is there crying and missing his mommy. But today has been so much easier. Still the same issues with students, class sizes, needed supplies, etc but easy because Michael is happy.
*I know I haven't posted about summer yet. There is so much to share! I have 4 or 5 posts I've started telling of our fun summer but I never get very far. I have uploaded all pictures onto the computer though so I'm making progress. Someday, you'll be jealous of all the fun things we've done the last few months :)
10 comments:
What a handsome little boy!! I'm sorry it was hard at first, but so glad your prayers got answered! I cannot wait to be jealous of your summer fun! Ps. Did you get his bedroom stuff done? I want to see pictures!
Break my heart a million times over.... and yet again. Sooooooo glad that story had a happy ending. If you would have called and told me that that was happening after a couple days I would have told you to bag it and bring him back to me. I'm glad he is happy and that its now easier on you. I could only imagine how hard that would be!! You are such a good mom, wife and teacher. Love ya Ems :)
Glad he's adjusting, but it breaks my heart just reading that. It's amazing how much stress it puts on you when you know your kids need (really want) you. You are a much stronger person than me. I only lasted about 3 months before I couldn't take it anymore!
I am so, so glad that he likes daycare! I love that little guy... he's so cute!
Woohoo Mims!!! It broke my heart to read that was so hard on each of you. You're a stronger person than I am just for hanging in there. I'm glad everything has worked out. We miss you guys so much! Chris and I are constantly quoting Michael. The current favorites are "Heeeey gimme dat!" and "Hear dat?". ;) Can't wait to read all about summer and the new school year!
XOXO
How
Ughh. I'm so so SO sorry! My heart can't handle even the hearing about it, so I'm so relieved that he's OK with being there. (And heartbroken that he's OK with it...) Being a mom is hard.
He is so cute! We miss you!
Oh my heck, make me bawl. You have the most incredible little man. You guys are wonderful parents and Micheal is a reflection of that. Its amazing that our prayers (tears and heartache) can be relieved and answered. I love you guys. We miss you but we know you are so busy. Give your baby hugs from us.
He's so cute.
Hi Emily! You're little boy is so cute and I am so glad that things have worked out for you! I am glad we can keep in touch through blogging! :)
Post a Comment