So today we have Parent-Teacher Conferences. Definitely not my favorite day of the year. It's not so much the meeting and talking with parents--that much I don't mind. It's actually nice to put a face to the people who raised some of these kids. But staying here until 8 PM? I hit a wall way before that now days so I'm a little ornery already knowing that tonight when that wall slaps me in the face, I'll be sitting at my table in a gym full of teachers and parents, instead of crawling into my bed. And I know I won't be the only tired teacher there so please wish us all luck. sigh The things teachers have to do...
It's 12:19 and I just finished what I brought for dinner tonight. We had tacos last night so I brought leftovers for lunch. (I used to hate leftovers... now sometimes I make dinner just so I can have leftovers.) I packed two greasy tacos (yeah that's what they're called) to eat for lunch, and another two to eat for dinner in case I don't like what the PTA brings us for dinner at 3:00. Well I ate the first two fifteen minutes after eleven. Feeling starved (seriously, I haven't been this hungry in a while) I heated the other two and now they're gone. Nothing against the PTA (because they're wonderful and very kind to provide dinner for us) but I hope what they bring doesn't gross me out (yep 14 1/2 weeks and I'm still getting grossed out) because I know I'll be hungry again.
Thinking about food, I remember growing up and always complaining about what my mom fixed for dinner. Since being married, I've really grown to appreciate how every night growing up, there was a good dinner with a salad and a vegetable and maybe even a roll on the table at home. What was I thinking? I would die to have a mom-dinner on my table each night now! All my favorite dinners (enchiladas, tacos, soups, casseroles, meatloaf, stews, chicken dinners, roasts, and more) spin in my head and I'm craving them all. Seriously! This is why I'm trying to get some frozen "mom-dinners" together so we can eat how I did growing up. Now I just need to find the time to make them. Sorry I was so spoiled, mom. I'll eat your dinners gratefully now.
Since I'm still getting grossed out and nauseous at a lot of things, I've been really grateful for a helpful and sympathetic husband. If I'm not gagging over the smell of the task, I'm too exhausted to do it once I'm home from school but if I have a little extra energy it's like my senses take over and I can't get past the smell (even if there isn't a real bad stench). The last few weeks, Steve has done way more than a fair share of things around the house. Things like doing the piled up laundry, cleaning out the shower drain, doing the dishes time and time again, cleaning out the fridge, dusting and vacuuming and mopping, showering and putting Michael to bed with a story night after night, cooking a load of ground beef before it goes bad from sitting in the fridge, taking out the garbages, making dinners and anything else I haven't had to do these last few weeks. Sure sounds like I haven't done a darn thing the last few weeks but I have, I promise. Steve's just done way more and I love him for it. He sure makes my life easier and enjoyable. I'm a lucky gal.
This Saturday is the General Relief Society broadcast. Back in August my Bishop gave me the opportunity to sing in the choir for the broadcast. He said the stakes in our area are in charge of the choir and only a few women from each ward will be offered the chance to participate. "It's a once in a lifetime opportunity" he said. So I agreed... and starting going to practices... and more practices... and even more practices. Basically, other than the Spirit that is felt during our weekly firesides and practices, it's been a nightmare. (Harsh? Yeah I know but I'm being honest, remember?) I mean really it has taken so.much.time! And they're strict too. Like our shirts and skirts and nylons and shoes and high-heel size and hair and earrings and watches and makeup and how we can't drive our own cars to the conference so we have to leave on buses and we can't bring cell phones or jackets! I get how they want things uniform and to look nice but it seems a bit overboard. But even without the strictness, it's the practices that have been difficult. There has been a lot of them and even a dress rehearsal in Salt Lake City at 8 AM one Saturday morning. And on Saturday, the meeting starts at 6 PM. So they're having us leave our stake center at NOON and we won't be back until 930 or 10 that night. If I weren't pregnant and tired all the time and not getting this stupid pregnancy cold/sinus infection EVERY weekend (if anyone had this during their pregnancy, let me know... I'd love some advice), it wouldn't be so bad. But I am and I do. I was complaining to Steve one night and telling him what the next few practices will be like, I said "maybe the actual broadcast will be a really neat experience but so far this has not been worth it." And he replies "You're gonna have to see an angel or something at the broadcast to make all of this worth it." Sacrilegious? Yeah sorry. The response shocked both of us but at the moment it was fitting and we definitely were on the same page with each other. We're both just a little worn out right now.
BUT aside from Steve working a ton and being in school a lot, and me working and having my stupid night class, and having to get sitters for Michael since we have a bajillion things going on, and our church callings, and our hot weather, we're still chugging along... and we're happy so I guess that is what counts. We love our little family and any time we get to be with each other and talk and laugh. We know this craziness (and my irritability with everything) will pass and all these little things will soon be forgotten. But until then, this is what consumes my mind.
Guess I should've titled this post: "I'm Irritable! Read to find out why..."
6 comments:
oh mimi. thanks for the last line---it totally made me laugh:)
I'm sorry life is CRAZY and yes, it is crazy so don't feel bad for thinking that. You're amazing. you really are. But the fact that your happy is what matters. it makes it all o-k.
Make sure you keep writing these posts...i'm thinking its theraputic and not just for you (wink). I love you em!
I pretty much feel the EXACT same way about life right now. I'm getting super annoyed at my students and I'm STILL SO sick and throwing up everyday. It's exhausting and I'm such a picky eater. Even thinking about eating right now makes me sick. Ew... So seriously, let's get together and commiserate together. And maybe we can walk around Babies R Us or Target looking at baby stuff. Three more weeks and then I find out if it's a boy or girl! :)
I watched for you in the broadcast and got all excited when I saw you during the opening song. You looked fabulous - not at all annoyed. :D I hope you saw angels. Or least fell a little more in love with Pres. Uchtdorf.
I wanted to let you know your singing with the choir was beautiful. I was there and all the craziness was worth it. You looked beautiful! Thank you.
I'm irritable most days, so you are definitely entitled to have a bad day when you're pregnant :) Congrats, by the way! So exciting for your little family!
I would like the recipe to these GREASY tacos! Rember Em your growing a child it is more than okay to eat lunch twice! I know exactly what you mean about your moms cooking. I wish I would have payed better attention to my mom’s cooking. I am the worst cook I think…. I’m sorry cooking makes you sick! That is aweful.
It sounds like you need a break. I’m sorry your life is so stressful. If it helps any I’m sure you were amazing on Saturday. I DVRed and I am going to look for you when I watch it. I kind of feel the same way about the Primary program and my calling with the sun beams… I think I’m just done. Your venting makes me feel normal. I can’t imagine being pregnant and doing what you do.
You are an AMAZING woman and do so much!! I hope you know that!
Post a Comment