What would you think...
...if you picked up your child from day care and he was wearing
...if you picked up your child from day care and he was wearing
(Cute, right?)
My first thought was he must've had an accident. But I was confused because I knew he had been wearing a Pull-Up. His teacher quickly explained that he had done great, telling her when he had to go potty and everything. The problem came when she put him on the potty and while waiting for him at the door heard him say
"Oh No! I'm pee-peeing all over!"
"Oh No! I'm pee-peeing all over!"
Apparently he had not tucked himself down so when he started going, it streamed right onto his pull up, pants, socks, etc. Poor little guy. :) So for the rest of the day, he got to sport the bright red pants sewn by the sewing class students.
(So glad they have a back up plan, else he would've been running around in a pull up.)
So... lucky for us, Michael has pretty much potty trained himself. I tried last summer for 2 whole days :) using real underwear and suckers as bribery. I wanted him to want to sit on the potty so I would give him a sucker even for sitting there. It didn't end pretty. After two days, all I had was a sugar-shocked two year old who peed whenever and wherever he wanted. He had no interest, so I put his potty back in the box and on the top shelf of our closet.
During the fall, he would ask randomly where his potty was. Christmas break, it seemed like he asked all the time so I finally got the potty out and told him if he needed to go potty then to tell me and I would help him. And so he did. He started telling Steve and I when he needed to go and we would run him in to his potty but it only happened once maybe twice a week. I wasn't very motivated to try and help him potty train because I figured it would be impossible during the school year while he went to day care. I just accepted the fact that he probably wouldn't be potty-trained until this summer when he turns 3.
After 4 successful potty trips one week Steve announced to Michael that he was a big boy and that he got to wear big boy pull-ups now! Still not convinced, thinking we were going to waste expensive pull-ups instead of not-as-expensive diapers, I very reluctantly pulled down the box of Pull Ups and watched as Michael had a little cheering ceremony with his daddy. From there, we've only had to change a handful of pull-ups. He's done great at home, at day care, at nursery, and visiting family. He even holds it when we are driving and can't get to a potty right away.
Ladies and gentlemen:
(I don't know if there are guys that even read this)
Michael is practically potty-trained!
Now I just need to be brave enough to actually let him wear underwear. I want to make the switch completely and not go back and forth with pull ups so maybe after one more solid week, we'll make the trade. Maybe...
5 comments:
LOL the picture in my head of him looking down and freaking out because it was all out of control is pretty funny. :D Lucky you!
wow. your success with michael gives me hope for carson!
What a perfect little man you have! He seems to know what he wants and makes it happen!
WOOHOO!!! That's so exciting for him and for you and Steve. Chris and I just stocked up on diapers. $$ OUCH!!! $$ Tell him good job from us! We miss you guys and can't wait to see you all. Love you! :)
p.s. I hope he gets to keep those killer pants!
Those red pants are pretty awesome;)
That is awesome that you are almost at the finish line. About the whole tucking comment. That made me laugh so hard. Someday when we have a boy I will remember that lol.
Tell him to not be embarrassed about his "pee-peeing all over". The same thing happened to me a couple months ago. Lets all hang out tonight. Also, I'm a guy and I read your blog. Congrats on the training!
Post a Comment