Thursday, October 29, 2009

my thoughts

it's been a while since my last post, but i really don't know what to put on here. i struggle being creative or sharing interesting things. what do blog readers want to read?? here are some of my random thoughts that may or may not be of interest to you...

*we finally have grass at our house. i think this is the most exciting news of all. steve worked so hard and spent his entire fall break working in the dirt and finishing up our sprinkler system. many blisters and a sore back later, he had it ready for sod and with the help of family we went from dirt to grass in 4 hours. it's nice to drive up to our house and see green instead of brown. and now i can finally wipe down my dirty walls, sweep, mop, and vacuum my dusty floors, and wash large batches of muddy clothes and rugs for the last time. grass is a beautiful thing.

*i'm so excited it's fall and that it's cold outside. i love putting on a scarf and a coat and going out in the cold air. it makes me smile every time i turn around in the car and see michael there bundled up in his beanie and snow coat. in his carseat he looks like randy from a christmas story and it cracks me up when i watch him strain to look past his coat and out the window.

*i'm glad it snowed and i welcome it now that we have a garage. scraping snowy and icy windows makes me bitter about snow and everything associated with it but now that i don't have to do that every morning, bring on the snow!!

*i secretly like fixing dinner but don't tell. i'm not a great cook but i'm proud when something i make turns out just as good or better than my mom's delicious cooking. (not that mine are better; i just leave out the things she puts in that i don't like.) ending up with a perfect roast, mashed potatoes, and even homemade gravy and rolls gives me a thrill and has been my recent favorite thing to fix. last night's homemade beef taquitos weren't too shabby either. too bad i forgot to bring leftovers for lunch today :(

*it drives me crazy that my house isn't spotless and that all the chores aren't done. steve says that it will never all be done and i hate that he's right. i washed, hung, and folded 5 batches of laundry last night and i'm upset that i now have dirty clothes in my hamper after showering this morning.

*i love being a mom but i hate, hate, hate it when michael wakes up at night especially when i'm exhausted from a long day. last night i was finally ready to go to bed at 11:30 and right as i flipped off my light, michael woke up crying. one ornery mom, one sad boy with an awful diaper rash, one melted/burned t-shirt, one shattered light bulb, one patient daddy, one vacuumed room, one milk bottle, and two hours later, i finally crawled into bed wishing i could turn back time for a few hours and get a little more sleep.

*i really want to write a book. problem is i have no idea what i'd write about. to me it seems like an impossible task and something i'll never accomplish because i think i'm boring, serious, and too cautious and sensible to write. hmmm bet you never knew that.

*i love every holiday except halloween and valentine's day. i feel like valentine's day just puts pressure on people to do something expensive or extravagant to show their love to someone they love unconditionally everyday. valentine's day helps people remember who they love and do something special for them but don't you and your spouse do that every day anyway? i feel like simply spending time with steve on any day is a celebration of our love and knowing that it's february 14 doesn't make it different. remembering and celebrating an anniversary each year is different and much more important. don't worry though... i still do the valentine's day thing even though i think it's silly. halloween on the other hand is a holiday that irritates me. i don't mind getting together with family and seeing all the young kids dress up in their darling costumes. however, i hate the scary, evil side to it. i hate that there are haunted houses and scary movies and that parents let their kids dress up in these awful costumes. i think halloween makes light of devil-like and unfortunate or truly scary things. i know i'll have to be a normal mom and let my kids dress up as dracula or whatever "scary" thing they want when they're older but i still hate it. steve and i went to the halloween superstore in american fork in search of a halloween costume for michael. i left with nothing but being upset and frustrated. i guess i should've figured but i couldn't shield michael's eyes enough. everywhere we turned there were creepy gremlins, ghosts, and distorted faces. there was blood and gore and un-realistic displays showing things that in reality would be a true horror. seeing a display with a bloody ax in one hand and a bloody head in the other does not strike me as funny or even entertaining. why is it funny when a scary image pops out and makes a creepy sound? i didn't even look at most of it and it probably didn't bother michael but i couldn't help but wonder what's going through his mind when he sees things like that. he's just so young and innocent. no good comes from things like that and there definitely wasn't a positive, peaceful feeling in the store. maybe i'm extreme but i don't like halloween.

*steve and i don't have tv at our house. we have a bunch of tvs and we watch lots of movies but we don't have tv service. i'm sure you think this is weird... i think it's weird too but i'm totally okay with it. at first it was because we couldn't find a bundle deal to fit our needs and figured we'd wait a few months to see what else becomes available in our area. but then school started and we are so busy we can't even find time to watch tv during the week. i seriously don't know when else i'd watch tv other than folding laundry late at night. steve studies 24/7 so it doesn't bother him either. it's really easy to get involved with a show and think you're going to turn the tv off after that show... until another show comes on and then another. before you know it, your evening is gone and you haven't done anything you needed to do. we're too busy to not get things done. we'll have tv service one day but for now we don't have time for it and we're completely okay not having it and being the "weird" people who don't have tv.

*i love reading and really wish i did it more. it's pathetic actually how little i read. i want my students to read but i never make time for it myself. there are so many books i want to read but i never do. i guess i don't make it a big enough priority.

*i'm considering making my blog private but don't really know if i should. i think there are only maybe ten people who ever look at my blog so maybe there is no reason to do it. plus i really like blog stalking and reading other people's blogs and i hate it when i want to read someone's and i can't open it up. but it's probably a safe idea so maybe i will.... any thoughts?

*i really want to learn to take great pictures. like i want a nice camera with a lens and stuff (see how little i know about cameras??).... but i also want to learn how to edit them. i don't know how to do anything other than make sure there are people in the picture so i know i have a lot to learn. maybe some day i'll find the time to make that a hobby. oh and i want to learn how to put my videos onto the computer and actually do something with them. we bought a video camera last year and i haven't done anything with all the videos. i think there are like 105 videos on it so i really need to transfer them and do something with them. can anyone help me?

so there you have it... my thoughts for today and one more post down. enjoy!

12 comments:

The Halls said...

You don’t like Valentines day and Halloween! Those are two out of 3 of the best holidays! I don’t think you are extreme I know a lot of people like you and that’s what makes you who you are. I just disagree :)
If you don’t HAVE to go private I wouldn’t I really don’t want to and I agree I like looking at random peoples blogs and seeing how happy the world is and then when you do and its private it stops the adventure. In some cases though you gotta do what you gotta do.
Picnik is a good photo editing site for beginners if you don’t have Photoshop. If you want Photoshop and to learn how to use it my husband has it and is amazing with it. When it comes to the photography its self I can’t help you out there as you can tell I am bad at that.
It was a great post and Mike and I still haven’t seen your place! I think its time we all get together!
And If you need a Cruise fix Mike and I are thinking Spain soon!

The Halls said...

WOAH sorry I didn't realize my comment was so long here is my apology!

Chris and Hil said...

Mims,
I love reading your blog! Maybe that's cuz I'm nosey?!? I donno but either way keep it up! And if you wrote a book I'd read it! :D As far as the going private I say it's up to you, only thing that would make me hesitant is weirdo students or parents stalking you or something I donno?!? Anyway it's back to studying for me love you guys lots!
-Howie

Malerie said...

you can't even imagine how happy I was when I saw you posted. Nor, how happy I was as a continued to read, laugh, and agree...with a little disagreement hear and there.

Carson is still asleep so I hope I can really comment how I want.(i find sometimes I can't say what I want for lack of time. I'm sure you know something about that!!)

So first off, thanks. I miss you and when I read your posts it makes me feel a little closer to you. And fills me in. I'm glad you have grass. I'm glad you have nights like me, not because it's fun but because I can read it and TOTALLY sympathize. The mom job is the best. It brings more joy, happiness, fun/silly moments, and tender unexplained ones. But, it is so much work. So much more difficult than anything else in the world. I think the fact that we really care makes it that way. We love our little boys! If we didn't we would let them cry, never change their diaper, never clean up their mess, never hold them when they need us. Never wake up to take care of their needs. We love them and that's why it's so difficult, we have to be good mommies. Keep it up mimi. He loves you right back.

I agree with the holidays completely! What a hassle valentine's day is. I love my husband and I shouldn't have one day where it is shown. It is an everyday thing just like you said. We never make it a real holiday. We get a card and a small gift but then just a normal day goes by. No out to dinner or anything major. Just another day of love and kindness. Let's not get to involved in the 31st ordeal. You said it all perfectly. It's scary, gruesome, and pretty much an excuse to glorify some satanic elements. The trunk or trick was inspired. It's all you need. A little fun costume, some candy, a small gathering and then 2 hours later...bed! That's how it's going to go for me (I hope!)

Now for my disagreement....Don't go private. Did you read the Ensign for september with the blog stuff in it. It gave a great insite about the advantage of a blog and how to be careful. I think some might have misread it's purpose. It talked about how people can find out about our religion through things we say and stuff but if we're private how can anyone stumble upon that? Now, if someone wants to be detailed and open. Not trying to leave out things then they definitely need to go private. But if you never say specific names of places you are going or live near by or times and things like that. Or if you only talk about a trip after it happens or things of that nature after the fact then I think you're ok. I also delete comments if they are too specific or worrisome in their info. I just periodically go throught things and see if I need to leave out some stuff. But each person is privy to personal revelation. So I don't disagree if you feel you should. Follow your own inspiration.

As for the book idea. Go for it. continue those thoughts. It might be 20 years before it is published but the idea is inspired. Go with it. I'd read it and I'd LOVE it!

Well, now my boy is making his morning call. I best be off. sorry for my post of a comment! I love you and miss you.

Malie

Malerie said...

one more thing...so i re read your post and while it is personal, it's not detailed in a worrisome way. nothing in it would be something I would exclude. just fyi.

Nicole said...

I hate Halloween too!! I do like seeing the students dressed up, but not too sad to miss them today!!! I love dressing Tyce up, but I too hate the evil side. Valentine's Day has never been that special to us either. Maybe dinner out, or take-out. That is about it.

Going private is totally up to you. I like being private, because I post mostly about Tyce. I do think that our students or parents could find our blogs, but I don't think most of them care. Although, I have several try to add me as friends on facebook. I just ignore them.

I am glad you have grass. Michael will love it next summer.

I never see you! Where are during lunch?

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael said...

My first comment blew up...
So, this huge blog post deserves a huge comment, so here you go. Let's see, where to begin...

Okay, good to hear that your lawn in place. I'm so with you on the cold. I love it! Bring on the snow! I hate fixing dinner. Nikki knows it too. I'm not good at it at all. I can barely make tacos and beef taquitos are so far out of the question I don't even want to consider what nightmares they would give me. I don't know how you guys handle having Michael waking up at night. I'm sure that if it were me I wouldn't even wake up. I'd just ignore him and go back to sleep. So brava to you for being a good mother!

Now... on to Halloween. How in the world can you be hating on Halloween! It is one of the best holidays out there (after the Fourth of July and Christmas of course). Now as far as this evil shmevil business. The whole history behind All Hallows' Eve is good clean family focused fun.

"The ancient Celts believed that [on Halloween] the border between this world and the Otherworld became thin ...allowing spirits (both harmless and harmful) to pass through. The family's ancestors were honoured and invited home whilst harmful spirits were warded off. It is believed that the need to ward off harmful spirits led to the wearing of costumes and masks. Their purpose was to disguise oneself as a harmful spirit and thus avoid harm."

See! Family fun celebrating family history whilst creating marvelous new memories as a family. That is the holiday that Halloween is meant to be. Now granted, the world is an evil place and the majority of people out there have forgotten about the true meaning of Halloween but... Halloween is just another victim of the ages. Just like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s Day, the Fourth of July, New Years Eve and so many other holidays, people distort and confuse their true meaning! But like all of the other holidays, we still celebrate them but we choose to focus on their true meanings. We all have the choice with what we let into our homes. So you can make Halloween a great holiday or an evil satanic one but as for the Halls, call us old fashioned but we love the classics: jack-o'-lanterns, trick-or-treating, bobbing for apples, drinking hot apple cider, wearing costumes, going to parties, bonfires, haunted houses and watching old black and white horror movies.

As for Valentine's Day... I have a harder time loving it because it's stolen my money for years will hardly any return. I also feel like it can hurt a lot of already sad and depressed women out there in the world when they're all alone. But Nikki loves it so we celebrate it and we celebrate it hard! It never hurts to show a little extra love.

Nextly, you're right who needs cable! Sure at the Hall home we like it and we watch it but I can say that I think we would be just fine without it. Yes we love our shows but I like watching them more after they come out on video anyway. We have Netflix and I absolutely love it. Love, love, love it. Every movie and show in the world. I could survive on Netflix alone (well, and Nikki of course).

I love reading too! But I never make the time for it. I used to read for at least an hour a night before I went to bed but now the minute I'm in bed I'm out of it. I can't even imagine how kids would weigh in on it. Freak.

Now for the last two, I'm offended! Okay not really but if you want to learn to edit your pictures I would love to give you a little Photoshop lesson. Now I'm not a photographer at all but I can help with the editing once the pictures are taken. There's so many little things that you can do to a picture to really make it look awesome. Same thing for your videos, I'd love to help, or at least show you how to get them transferred from your camera onto some DVDs. So the answer to this problem... let's get together sometime soon. But until we do its awesome to read you post. Hopefully my comment isn't too long. Sorry if it is. You Esplins are the most rockinest, coolest people I know, the greatest in the whole world.

Michael said...

Oh and with the whole privacy debate... it's up to you. I won't ever go private because I'm pretty sure that very few people care to read my blog as it is.

As for the book, you totally should! Just sit down and start writing anything and everything that comes to mind. Eventually you'll find your book.

You guys rock.

Mr. O said...

Children crying late at night is starting to wear on me as well. Jax has consistantly woken up every two hours this past week. I think he is playing us but am unwilling to let him cry at this time. Certainly makes class interesting though, being frazzled.

Abbie said...

Emily I love you!!!! Nuff said. Your posts are amazing. You say the things that go through my head but never come out :) I say go for the private blog, go for the book, props on your "motherly duties" (Michael will thank you 18 yrs from now). Had no idea you were a closet cook... invite me next time I'm a great judge of flavor ;) oh and I am doing your camera/lens research for you I have been wanting an SLR (yes thats what your wanting) for years now Josh has told me so many times to just get what I want but there are always so many other places to spend that kind of money but someday soon I'm just gonna do it. And tell Steve when I do I will find you an AMAZING "Abbie" deal and he can buy you one too!! P.S. I have to say its pretty amazing and major props to you when you write such an awesome post that people will comment with novels!! THAT should say something about your book writing skills.... :)

glitter girl said...

Emily,
I'm surprised at how much we are alike! I too, hate valentines day and halloween and all for the same reasons! I also would love to write a book, although I am not an English teacher! I think you would do great at it! There was a few things that I was like, hmmmm....we're a lot alike! Glad you invited me to read! Love Michael's picture! He's such a dolly..I love him.