Saturday, January 14, 2012

Out of Order

When something shouldn't be used anymore or needs a small "fix-up" break (like a clogged public toilet or the escalator at the mall) they just put a sign on it that says
"OUT OF ORDER"

Lately I've wished I could just put that same sign on my forehead.
what are the chances google images actually had this picture?!
Everything has been super busy lately. We had a wonderful Christmas break mixed with lots of of relaxing, a little mad-dash shopping, plenty of family get-togethers, and even a short stay at the hospital.
(More details on all of that later if I ever get around to it.)

Starting back at school was an adjustment for all of us. We've slowly gotten back into the routine of things and have a jammed schedule once again.

Along with juggling our day-to-day stuff we're thinking of all the things we need to do before our little girl arrives. Now we need to stop thinking about it and start into action.

We're down to 9 1/2 weeks people!
Which I realize is still 2+ whole months, but seeing as we have done... well nothing to prepare, we should definitely get started.

There have been a few things to focus on before baby stuff.
Things that have given me this "I really need a break" feeling.

For instance, remember my Tuesday night classes that I've had for the last 3 years?
Well in December, I finally finished my 7th semester class meaning I've completed the education required to receive my reading endorsement. It also meant all that was left was for me to take (and pass) my Reading Endorsement Praxis (a state test). I planned on taking the test in February and being done with it before the baby comes but realized there were only test dates mid January and mid March. Mid March is too close to my due date so the January test date was it!

And today was THAT day.
(Can you say fried brain? I really do need an "Out of Order" sign at least for the rest of today.)

Today I took the last test I'll ever have to take for my career.
(That is as long as I passed it.)
No more college classes or Praxis tests for me!
It's a good feeling knowing that it is over with and as long as I passed, I won't have to do anything like that ever again! This endorsement means that I am one of just a few at my school qualified to teach the specialty reading classes I've been teaching for the last couple of years. I'm so grateful for that because when I go part time in the fall, I'll get to continue teaching just this reading/English class. I had no idea 3 years ago that all those classes would be so worth their while in the end. Such a blessing for our family!
 Now I just need to forget about the test for the next month until I get my results. Worrying for 4 weeks is not going to help my stress level.

Now that my Praxis test is done, I need to focus on getting my lesson plans ready and finding my substitute.
At this point I have 4 highly qualified teachers interested in teaching my classes while I'm home enjoying our new baby. Now comes the choosing... and the planning. It's hard to plan everyday lessons for 4 different classes this much ahead of time but I know it will be a huge stress relief once it's done.

After my lessons are planned, my MAIN focus and time can be put towards getting ready for this little lady to arrive. (Which is what I'm most looking forward to.) As much as I want to spend every free second sewing and decorating and shopping and picturing her sweet little face now, I know it would be a nightmare having to plan lessons at home after the baby is here to send to the sub. So doing the crappy work of planning for a sub now will be worth it later.

Can't wait to have school planned out, our house/nursery ready, and to be staying home adoring our baby girl.

Wish us luck these next 9 1/2 weeks... we're gonna need it along with a lot of good time management :)

3 comments:

The Jones' said...

Can't wait to hear about the praxis on Tuesday! And once we are both in maternity, let's get together with our babies! :)

The Halls said...

Your done with classes, I bet that is such a great feeling! I'm sure you did great on the test even with pregnancy brain. Let us know how it went.

Hospital what?? Hope every things okay. You can't just say that and leave us hangin'.

I think getting everything ready like the room and showers and all that is the best part of pregnancy. 9 weeks left oh man I'm jealous. :) I can't wait to meet this little darlin.

Nicole said...

What your having a baby, congrats! I'm behind on blogging! I bet you are so excited and a girl. Im a little bit jealous, even though I love my boys more than anything. Hospital stay? I hope you are better now.